Things you can do at home to care for your teeth after braces include:
- Schedule a Professional Exam and Cleaning
After having braces, you are well aware of how challenging it can be to keep your teeth clean. Now that they are off, it’s a good idea to schedule an exam and thorough, professional cleaning. While at the dentist’s office, consider a whitening treatment, too. This can help get rid of any stains or yellowing that may be present.
Your teeth are naturally inclined to move back to their original position. In fact, the biggest risk of this happening is within the first few weeks after you have gotten your braces off. The retainer is going to keep your teeth where they are supposed to be.
- Adopt a Thorough Oral Health Care Routine at Home
Braces are a big investment. Now that they are off, it’s important to follow a good daily dental regiment. This can help you keep the beautiful and healthy smile you worked so hard to get. Some of the things you need to do each day include:
- Brush Your Teeth: You should plan to brush your teeth at least two times a day using a soft bristled brush. Also, replace your toothbrush every three or four months.
- Floss Once a Day: By flossing one time a day, you can remove food particles and plaque that your toothbrush can’t reach. Be sure you are flossing each space in between your teeth.
- Use Mouthwash: This is optional, however, if your teeth need a bit more protection than just brushing and flossing, speak to your dentist about the right mouthwash options for your needs. This also gives you nice, fresh breath.
- Clean Your Retainers: This needs to be a part of your daily routine. After it becomes a habit, it won’t feel so much like a chore.
- Keep Your Beautiful Smile After Braces: By using the tips and information here to care for your teeth after braces, you can feel confident the beautiful smile you worked so hard to get won’t be lost.