Don’t let nerves and anxiety
make you skip dental check-ups.
From early on, Shields dentists have been pioneers in adopting sedation techniques and our comprehensive range of private treatments are designed to meet the needs of children and adults in a relaxed and comfortable environment.
Don’t be afraid to ask any question about the process as our team have the expertise and empathy to ensure you’re happy with the whole process.
What is sedation?
Sedation is safe and effective and it works in 3 ways:
- anxiolytic – relieves anxiety
- sedative – calms and induces sleep
- amnesic – memory loss
The patient feels very sleepy and has little or no recall of the treatment.
To find out more, call our team today on 061 480070.
How is sedation administered?
- Orally as a pre-med before treatment
- Intravenously at the time of surgery
- Gas & air through a nose piece
How effective is sedation?
All methods are very effective. The intravenous method is favoured by most patients as the effect is more pronounced. Gaseous sedation is an effective option—and very much so for children—for less anxious patients, and less demanding procedures.
All patients considering sedation are assessed to determine their suitability. Conor Shields has a wealth of expertise in sedation, including 15 years’ experience in providing sedation to patients, coupled with his postgraduate training (Diploma in Conscious Sedation, Guys Hospital, 1997).
What is Conscious Intravenous Sedation?
How should I prepare for sedation?
- Wear loose clothing
- Eat a light meal a few hours before treatment—never starve yourself
- Ensure you are escorted by a competent person who must remain at the practice during treatment. The escort is responsible for the patient’s well-being and providing post-operative care for the rest of the day. For the Shields team, the escort is non-negotiable. Patients not accompanied by an escort will not be treated, and will lose their deposit
What should I do afterwards?
- Go home and rest, under the supervision of your escort;
- Not operate any machinery, drive a vehicle, or sign any legal documents for 24 hrs or until the following day
- Try to ensure that young children can be looked after for the rest of the day while you recover.
Behind every smile there's a story.
The whole team at Shields Dental Clinics take pride in providing great care to ensure that your visit is as relaxing as it can be. We want you to feel at home in our warm and friendly clinics. We offer an unrivalled end-to end service; our team will care for you from the moment we first hear your voice, until your final review.
Here some of our patients tell you about their experience and how happy they are with their smile transformations.
From the regular check-up to the specialist and advanced treatments that are needed throughout life, we always use state-of-the-art equipment and latest recommended techniques.
Find out what makes us different.
You don’t have to go to Beverly Hills to look good, you can go local. In convenient locations in Limerick, Castletroy, Roscrea and Blackrock Dublin. Comfortable but advanced, friendly but professional. Click on your preferred location in the menu or use the arrows to discover more.
smile you have
Use our FREE consultation service to speak to one of our Treatment Coordinators, who give you information about how we can help, without any financial commitment.
Most importantly it helps to build your confidence in starting your journey with Shields to the smile you have always wanted.
We’ll discuss with you what you would like to achieve with your dental health and the appearance of your smile, answer any questions and listen to any problems you may have had with your teeth in the past.