Having a missing tooth can affect your life in different ways. If left untreated, your facial structure can change as missing teeth will cause a shift if your teeth that can irrevocably change your appearance. As missing teeth affect facial aesthetics, your self confidence can take a knock when you have a missing tooth. Many of our patients have found that when they sought treatment for a missing tooth, they’re self-image was boosted and desire to smile restored.
What are dental implants?
Dental implants are small titanium posts that are inserted into the gum in order to replace missing teeth. Once placed into the gum, a restoration such as a crown, a bridge or dentures are attached via a connecting element called an abutment.
Am I eligible for dental implants?
Sometimes the patient does not have sufficient bone density to undergo treatment for dental implants. In these cases, a procedure known as bone grafting can be performed. Read more about bone grafting here.
What are the advantages attached to having dental implants?
Dental implants are the next best thing to a real tooth – here are some of the advantages of choosing dental implants to replace a missing tooth…
- Dental implants are placed so that they can be allowed to fuse with your jawbone. The rejection rate with dental implants is low and once they have fused with your jawbone, they look and feel like natural teeth.
- Dental implants spare you from the embarrassing baggage that dentures can bring – chew, smile and kiss with confidence and without social anxiety.
- Improved digestion as you can break foods down more easily.
- Improved comfort.
- Improved level of oral health – as a missing tooth leaves a vacant space in your mouth, bacteria can build-up and settle in this space. Filling this space will reduce the chances of this occurring.
- Improved levels of self-confidence.
Looking after my dental implants
Your new implants can be maintained in the same way as your normal teeth. This means brushing for 2 minutes twice a day and flossing at least once a day, in order to cover all of your tooth surfaces (only possible by flossing and brushing together). Regular check-ups with your dentist and hygienist here at Shields are also essential to maintaining a healthy mouth. As we’re now offering 7 day dentistry, this has never been easier.
Here at Shields Dental & Implant Clinic, our team possess the knowledge and technology to offer an exceptional standard of Dental Implant therapy. If you would like to arrange your first free consultation, please do not hesitate to contact us.