How can sedation help me as a nervous patient?
All three methods below are highly effective, though the intravenous is the most popular option amongst patients at Shields. Gaseous sedation is generally used for children and for less anxious patients who are undergoing less demanding treatments or procedures. Patients who are thinking about undergoing sedation will need to be assessed for suitability before this can be decided.
Here at Shields our team have extensive experience of carrying out sedation for nervous patients and will approach your procedure with empathy and patience, addressing any anxieties that you might have.
How is sedation administered?
- Temazepam – administered orally as a pre-med before treatment.
- Midazolam – administered intravenously at time of surgery.
- Gas & Air – nitrous oxide and oxygen administered through a nose piece.
Preparing for sedation
Preparing for sedation is essential. Here are some of the aspects required of patients:
- Loose comfortable clothing.
- Eat a light meal several hours before treatment – it is important to eat something but not too much as this could interfere with the efficacy of the sedation.
- Be sure you are escorted by a friend or member of your family – this person must remain at the practice during your treatment and be responsible for your wellbeing after your procedure. We take our patients’ welfare very seriously and for this reason, an escort is obligatory at Shields.
The benefits of sedation
- Your dentist can work more quickly – sedation prevents fidgeting when patients are nervous which allows the dentist to carry out their work more quickly.
- Forget about your anxiety – the effects of sedation are psychological – you will forget about any anxiety that you may have as the sedation will eradicate these feelings.
- No pain – sedation means that you do not experience pain during the procedure.
- You can still co-operate with the dentist – If your dentist asks you to open your mouth wider, you will be able to do this.
If you would like to know more about dental sedation at Shields or you are anxious about treatment, please do not hesitate to contact us and we can arrange an appointment with one of our dentists.