If you’re looking for teeth straightening before a special event, holiday, or cosmetic treatment, you may wonder what your options are. Here at Shields Dental & Orthodontic Clinic, we offer two short-term orthodontic treatments to help you achieve your dream smile: Invisalign and Six Month Smiles.
But what are the main differences between these treatments, and which is the best choice for you?
Six Month Smiles
Six Month Smiles is a quick and effective way to straighten your teeth. As in the name, this orthodontic treatment has the power to straighten your smile in just six months. Using traditional metal braces, we can straighten your front six to eight teeth safely but robustly, giving you a straighter, more aesthetic smile.
We understand that you may be hesitant to try metal braces. Many patients who visit our office worry that metal braces won’t suit them or that they’re too old for orthodontics. We assure you that braces can look great on anyone, regardless of age. But, to make the treatment even more discreet, we use clear brackets and tooth-coloured wires for Six Month Smiles. So don’t let the thought braces deter you from considering this treatment.
Six Month Smiles is an excellent option if you’re interested in a fast solution for minor crookedness, spacing, or misalignment. It can help you achieve a straighter smile before a special event or holiday, giving you the confidence you need to shine.
What’s the Process of Six Month Smiles?
During your detailed consultation, our Specialist Orthodontist, Dr. Raksha Batajoo, will take x-rays and intra-oral photographs to assess your suitability for treatment. If you are a good candidate for Six Month Smiles, she will then attach the Lucid-Lok® clear brackets and tooth-coloured wires to your front teeth. You will need to wear these braces for six months.
To ensure the best possible results, we will schedule multiple check-ups during your treatment to monitor your progress and make any necessary adjustments to the wires. After six months, your front teeth will be straight, and we can remove the braces and wires.
Six Month Smiles are a low-risk treatment option because they use less force than traditional braces and do not require any tooth extraction.
With Invisalign, you can enjoy a beautifully straightened smile without anyone even knowing you’re undergoing orthodontic treatment. These clear, removable aligners have improved over 13 million smiles worldwide and are an excellent option for correcting issues such as crowding, gaps between teeth, and misaligned bites.
Invisalign is a gentle and discreet way to straighten your teeth without the discomfort and frequent adjustments of traditional braces. Every two weeks, you will receive a new set of aligners in the post, and we will schedule regular visits to monitor your progress. By selecting this treatment, you can enjoy a straight and confident smile without any hassle.
What’s the Process of Invisalign?
At your consultation, our Invisalign Dentist, Dr Robert Hardy, will chat with you about any dental concerns you may have. After this, he’ll take x-rays and create an impression of your mouth to be sent to the lab. With the power of Invisalign’s ClinCheckⓇ technology, we can also provide you with ‘before and after’ predictions of your smile.
After your consultation, we will send your impression and scans to our skilled technicians, who will create each aligner set. You’ll need to wear these aligners for 22 hours a day for optimum results, but you can remove them when eating, drinking and brushing your teeth.
Teeth Straightening: Invisalign or Six Month Smiles?
Invisalign and Six Month Smiles are both effective options for straightening teeth and correcting misalignment, but they have several key differences:
- Appearance – Invisalign uses clear aligners that are virtually invisible when worn, whereas Six Month Smiles uses tooth-coloured braces that are more visible. However, both are aesthetically-pleasing advancements to traditional braces.
- Treatment Duration – As we’ve already mentioned, Six Month Smiles braces take only six months to complete, while Invisalign treatment can take anywhere from 6 to 24 months. While Invisalign treatment can take longer, its clear aligner system is more convenient and comfortable to wear for an extended duration.
- Treatment Focus – Six Month Smiles primarily focuses on correcting the cosmetic appearance of your front teeth, while Invisalign can correct a broader range of misalignment issues, such as malocclusion. Malocclusion translates to “poor bite”, such as an overbite, underbite, cross bite or deep bite. Utilising Invisalign’s SmartTrackⓇ material and SmartForceⓇ attachments, we can target specific teeth with more force to perfect your bite function. For this reason, your Invisalign treatment may take longer than expected if we need to correct your bite.
- Comfort – Invisalign aligners are custom-made for your unique smile and can be removed for eating and cleaning, making them more comfortable to wear than traditional braces. Six Month Smiles braces aren’t as comfortable as Invisalign but are comfier than traditional braces due to the softer forces.
- Cost – Six Month Smiles is generally more affordable than Invisalign due to its short treatment duration and focus solely on cosmetic alignment.
The effectiveness of both Invisalign and Six Month Smiles in straightening teeth and correcting misalignment is beyond doubt. However, the best treatment for you will depend on your budget, preferences, and case. Our Orthodontists will also assess your case to recommend the best option.
Six Month Smiles is the faster and more affordable option because it’s specifically designed to correct alignment issues and cookedness in your front teeth. While it’s still an aesthetically pleasing solution, it does use brackets and wires that are more visible than Invisalign aligners.
On the other hand, Invisalign uses clear aligners that are virtually invisible when worn and are removable for eating and cleaning. This solution can also be used to correct more severe misalignment issues, but for this reason, treatment can take longer and is generally more expensive than Six Month Smiles.
Looking for Teeth Straightening Near You? Contact Us at Shields Dental & Orthodontic Clinic in Blackrock, Roscrea and Limerick.
We look forward to welcoming you!